Writing Abstract for Research Papers, Science Projects and Articles in APA Style
Knowing the proper etiquettes on how to write an abstract in APA style is an absolute must – mandatory like a religious binding – for those authors and essayists who are covering research works in the fields of education, (quite obviously) psychology and also social sciences. Knowing how to write an abstract in MLA style would be more pertinent if someone was researching a topic falling under the precinct of humanities.
Basic Rules for APA Style and Format
Various publications and web sites quote numerous ways to write an abstract in APA style and it is perfectly alright to consult them for guidance purposes. However, after consulting and referring to those publications, you will only learn by practicing over and over again which is the best way to write an abstract in APA style.
Given the fact that your academic counselor will more than likely brief you on the steps to write an abstract in APA style since it is their job to direct scholars on how to write an abstract for a research paper, one should still do their own homework and be abreast with some amount of knowledge beforehand.
Guide Steps for Creating an APA Style Abstract
Keeping your ease in mind, the following is only a concise list of the formatting practices you will need to adopt if you wish to know the apposite rules for how to write an abstract in APA style:
- Keeping in line with the American Psychology Association regulations, the page number will appear on the top right corner of the page
- Even though the abstract is the 1st piece of written text that appears in the document with relevance to the research, it will still be placed as the 2nd page of the entire document; the title sheet will always be the foremost page
- The abstract will be composed of a single double spaced paragraph. It will not be indented (block format) & the text size is to remain at 12 throughout. An inch of margin space is to be left on all sides
- A heading stating “Abstract” will precede the paragraph. The heading alignment is to be center aligned.
- The popular recommendation is that the word count ranges anywhere from a 100 to 250 but consult your guidance counselor for his or her exact advice. Be wary of the fact that you have a limited number of words to address four elements; the introduction, the research methodology, the data analysis & results portion and the conclusion
Once again, do not take this to be the final word on how to write an abstract in APA style. Seek counsel from your project coordinator and also refer to any example of an abstract in APA style in any psychology journal.